Saturday, June 6, 2009

Someones Baking...



SO, I did a whole bunch of wonderful baking on Tuesday but I am just getting around to telling you now. Gimmie a break. We woke up on Tuesday and MAT didn't want cold cereal or oatmeal and aside from fruit, we didn't have much else breakfasty type food.


Disappointed there were no pancakes made, or bagels to eat, Mat hopefully asked for banana bread. We didn't have any, sad, he opted for a glass of milk, a peach and a banana, with a slice of toast. A perfectly respectable breakfast, I think. But it got me thinking. About yummies that I could make a whole bunch of and put in the freezer, to thaw as needed. I hatched a plan.


SO after breakfast was over I decided to make a mass amount of breakfast type muffins using flavors from my fridge and freezer. This would use items we already have AND use up some of these duck eggs we have, since all three hens are laying one a day so we are getting a dozen eggs every 4 days, for us that's alot of eggs. It will also solve the problem of a fast and easy breakfast on the days the children don't want cereal or oatmeal.
I began scouring the cabinets, fridge, and the depths of the freezer for yummy items to use. I came out with the last of the pumpkin puree from last season, a bag of frozen strawberries, and half gone quart of yogurt. I can work with this.
I found them some recipes that contained these ingredients but were not the recipe i intended to follow. I made them fit my needs and taste and in the process nearly changed the level of every ingredient, added new ones and totally omitted others. I love playing it fast and loose in the kitchen, it is thrilling. So here they are. Pumpkin Pie Muffins and Strawberry Yogurt Muffins. Feel free to try it and play with the levels and types of flour, sugar and special ingredients.


Pumpkin Pie Muffins
2c. unbleached flour + 1 1/2 c whole wheat flour = 3 1/2 c. flour
2c. white sugar + 1/2 c. dark brown sugar = 2 1/2 c sugar (or 2 1/2 c unrefined sugar)
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp. baking SODA
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 c. pumpkin puree, a little more is better I think
1 c. veggie oil, I use extra virgin olive oil
4 eggs, we use duck eggs
1 tsp vanilla

Combine dry ingredients and set aside. In separate bowl mix pumpkin and oil, beat in eggs, one at a time, add sugars one at a time, add vanilla. Slowly add dry mixture to wet mixture. Fill greased muffin tins or muffin cups half to three quarters full and BAKE at 350 degrees. I have a convection oven so I bake for 20 minuted with a conventional oven add 5 to 10 minutes.

Makes 4 dozen muffins or two loaves of bread. These are a sticky, pretty sweet, muffin but they are delicious.


Strawberry Yogurt Muffins
1 3/4 c. unbleached flour + 3/4 c. whole wheat flour = 2 1/2 c flour
1/3 c. white sugar + 1/3 c. dark brown sugar = 2/3 c sugar (or 2/3c unrefined sugar)
1/2 tsp baking SODA
1 tsp baking POWDER
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs, again we use duck eggs
3/4 c plain or flavored yogurt
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 c- 2 cups fresh or frozen strawberries, chopped, (if using frozen let them thaw about an hour before using them.) Or you could use peaches and peach yogurt, thats the next on my list.

Combine dry ingredients and set aside. In separate bowl mix eggs and oil, add sugar, add yogurt, add vanilla, mix after each addition. Then slowly add dry to wet. FOLD in strawberries, if you don't want pink muffins, this is key. If you don't mind the muffins are pink toss 'em in the mixer, I personally kind of like pink muffins. If you don't want pink muffins the less mixing the better. Fill greased muffin tin or cups 1/2 -3/4 full. Bake 400 degrees. I have a convection oven and I bake for 20 minutes, for conventional oven add 5 to 10 minutes. Makes 2 dozen. These are moist and not too sweet. They are great with a cup of coffee. If they are not going to be eaten within 2 days they need to be kept in the fridge or frozen. They do have yogurt in them you know.




I hope you try these recipes. They are both really fantastic. The kids both prefer the pumpkin and Mr. T and I both like the Strawberry at breakfast time, but the pumpkin are good anytime.

On the right are the pumpkin and on the left are the strawberry. Mmmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment