Monday, May 16, 2011

Around the Homestead.

Back to the fun of production.

We started May with a bang. I made my first (EVER) batched of jam and Jelly.
                                             rhubarb jam boiling and being skimmed 

I started with rhubarb, well because we, somehow, have 5 hills this season. So the abundance abounds and I cannot stand the thought of wasting it. It is delicious by the way, we have frozen bags and bags and I am considering canning some compote too. I also made dandelion jelly, because, you know me, abundance and all that.
                                     It is surprisingly delicious. Here is the recipe I used.


About half the garden is planted.

<--The peas are thriving as is the swiss chard, broccoli, kale, onions, spinach, strawberries, onions, rhubarb, and asparagus.



I found some yarrow growing wild in the pasture. According  to companion planting resources it is supposed to be very beneficial to loads of things in the garden, and the flowers are pretty and the foliage is cute.

I am trying to grow potatoes in tires this year. This is particularly unnerving for me as it is also my first time growing potatoes. But anyone who has driven by our home knows we have an abundance of old tires, some were left here by the previous owners, and 4 or 5 have piled up from Mr. T's truck, so we might as well give it a shot.








All in all I am very happy with the garden start this season. And those raised beds I told you about are to the right of the garden, on the other site of the drive.--->




We have other excitement going on too. It is spring so we have babies on the...farm? that just sounds misleading, on the homestead does too... in the pasture. Anyway, our goose who started on a clutch of 13, was down to 5 eggs till last week. One hatched. One. It is 4 days later and she is still sitting on the other 4 eggs. The little guy is going out with his Daddy's, yes both ganders are helping take care of the little guy. I am giving Mildred 2 more days then I am kicking her off the nest. I am super sad that the little guy is all by himself but this way he gets to stay with his parents. If more had hatched I would have taken them all away and raised them myself, but a single baby would be very sad and lonely.

Surprise, we have a stubborn Muscovy hen who will do nothing but be broody, so she is sitting on 5 Ancona eggs. She is a right nasty little lady, but I suppose I would be too if I sat in a box all day staring at the wall and some annoying lady came in and messed with me 4 times a day. Rousting me out of my bed, forcing me to eat and drink and bath.


















OH and I dont think you all have met our newest motley crew.

These are the birthday chickens that MAT and I picked up this year. There were 10 originally, but one died and one became dinner. They are LOADS of fun to watch and listen to. I think I like chickens, I am sure Mr. T will not like this, but I can like a bird and not have to have 40 of them, surely I can.












In other news DOT has started eating. He has tried rice cereal and he enjoyed it...and the other boys enjoyed watching him enjoy it. They were just tickled that he can eat, and that most of what goes in comes right back out.

 
I am just in shock that he is old enough to BE eating real foods. Didn't I JUST have him yesterday? Anyway. 

Things are blooming, growing, and beautiful around here. 


There is a song that goes with this swinging, it goes "twinkle star, twinkle star, TWINKLE STAR, WHERE YOU ARE, twinkly star, where you are..." 
This was a good day.


1 comment:

  1. acreage + livestock = face it, sis, you're a homesteader :-)

    LOVE seeing how things are progressing! And, love being able to personally reap the benefits of your endeavors. Had your rhubarb jam this morning, as a matter of fact. XOXO

    ReplyDelete