Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Three, of my very favorite, things to make with sourdough discard.

Aside from sourdough bread of course. That is the purpose of the sourdough mother, but I cannot help but think of all the other wonderful things to do. And we only need bread every three or four days so we have discard daily. I have noticed I am the "just throw a cup of starter in there and see what we get" kind of baker. I refuse to throw it in the garbage and I prefer not to compost it. I want to USE that flour, water, and culture, otherwise I am throwing away money and health. So I have started putting a cup, or two, in just about everything I bake. It hasn't let me down yet.

Sourdough Waffles (adapted from the Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook Waffle recipe to incorporate sourdough)
1c. sourdough starter
1 3/4c. flour, a combination of whole wheat (3/4c.) and white(1c.) works well
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
2 eggs (or 1 goose egg)
1 3/4c. milk
1/2c. oil

Mix the egg, oil, and milk. Add the starter. In separate bowl combine dry ingredients, make a well, and add wet mixture. Mix, just till it comes together, it should be lumpy. Pour onto hot waffle iron. Bake according to iron instructions. 

This is NOT a sweet waffle recipe, they are light with a twinge of sourdough tang and are PERFECT with real maple syrup, strawberries, or mulberry syrup.

 Sourdough Rhubarb Muffins (adapted from Angry Asian Creations and I doubled it)
2 eggs (or 1 goose egg)
2tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2c. oil
2c. sourdough starter
1c. whole wheat four
1c. white flour
1tsp. baking soda
1/4c. white sugar
1/4c. brown sugar, plus 4Tbsp. for topping if you like
1c. rhubarb, diced (I used, thawed, frozen chopped rhubarb)
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 to1/4 tsp. each nutmeg and ginger (can easily be omitted)
Preheat oven 425 degrees.
You can macerate the rhubarb with the sugar for a couple hours, I do NOT, I like my rhubarb tangy.

Combine dry ingredients, set aside. In another bowl combine sugar, oil, vanilla, and egg, add starter, add rhubarb. Combine wet and dry ingredients.

Fill greased or lined muffin cups 1/2 to 3/4 full and top each with 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. brown sugar if you like.
Bake 425 degrees for about 20 minutes. Let cool on wire rack. This recipe made 14 muffins for me( and I filled the cups more than 3/4 of the way up)

Secret Chocolate Chip Sourdough Cookie Bars (cookie shape also works)
1c. Sourdough starter
2 1/4c. flour (a combination of whole wheat and white works well)
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2tsp. salt
1c. butter, softened
3/4c. brown sugar
3/4c. white sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs (or 1 goose egg)
1/2c. rolled oats (NOT the quick oats)
2-3 c. chocolate chips
and feel free to throw in nuts or cranberries or what have you.

Mix dry, reserve oats for later, set aside. In separate bowl cream butter and sugars, add vanilla, add eggs, add starter. Combine wet and dry and mix well. Add oats and mix. Add chocolate chips and any other goodies you might have. Spread whole mixture onto greased pan and BAKE at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or till toothpick in center comes out clean.
OR drop spoonfuls on parchment lined baking sheets bake 350 for 14 to 18 minutes.
Cool. Enjoy!

I hope you enjoy these as much as I do! And I hope to get back to some gardening, poultry, building posts soon. Fingers crossed!

2 comments:

  1. mmm, sounds yummy. I need to start a new starter. That was a strange sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were great! I made a streusel topping for the muffins and lowered the oven temp a bit. They were moist and made 24 muffins! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete