Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Banana Squash Bread


I know, I know the request for this recipe was FOREVER ago, but I just made a fresh batch this morning and I remembered to post it. Yay me.
By popular demand:

Banana Squash Bread
1/2 c. butter, softened NOT melted
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten, I use duck eggs of course
1/2 tsp. vanilla
3 medium bananas, I use black ones that are super sweet
1 c. grated summer squash
2 c. flour OR 1 c. whole wheat flour and 1 c. all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt

other variations include: 1/2 c. whole wheat flour, 1/2 c. quick oats, 1 c. flour in place of 2 c. flour. Feel free to experiment with other types of flour too!
I always throw in a handful of mini chocolate chips, raisins, dried cranberries, or nuts too, I like to mix it up. Also I always double the recipe and it doubles very well.

Cream butter and sugars. Blend in eggs and vanilla. Then add mashed bananas and squash. mix dry in separate bowl and then combine wet and dry ingredients. Pour into greased bread pan and bake at 350 degrees for 55-65 minutes. When knife or toothpick stuck in center comes out clean it is done. Cool on rack for 20 minutes to 1 hour then de-pan and let cool the rest of the way. Store in bread bag or airtight container. This loaf freezes very well and is super delicious with a shmear of cream cheese.

Happy baking!

Coming soon: Mini Chocolate Chip Zucchini Blonde Brownie recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment